To grow your organistion strong at an International IFKF Annual International Meeting a suggestion was made to develop a Toolkit for our Council Members which would benefit the development and growth of new and developing Kidney Foundations, Organisation and Patient groups. The first step in the development process has been made.
Modules supporting this pilot program are:
You may prefer to read the complete version of the IFKF Toolkit - 'Guidelines for starting a foundation of Charity' by Charles Kernahan.
There a number of basic issues to address that are common to all organisations and geographies, plus a number that can only finally be addressed when the legislation in each country or region is known. The first ten questions to be asked are:
1. Why are we starting a Foundation/Charity?
2. What ‘Gap’ are we trying to fill?
3. What type of activity does this then result in for the organisation?
4. How will this activity be funded?
5. Who else is providing my identified activities?
6. Who are the stakeholders in the organisation?
7. What is the ‘Local’ legislation regarding Charity and or Foundation formation and operation: This can usually be found on Government and/or specific Charity legislation web sites. A Google search in any specific country will identify the process and regulations for registration.
8. What are the Governance structures that will be required and help support the objectives of the organisation?
9. What Controls do we need to effectively and efficiently manage the organisation and its activities?
10. What pro-bono resources are available to assist in the creation and or continued operation of the organisation. Therefore you are establishing your need in the market, understanding your competition and allowing you to establish some of the basic information needs required to register as a foundation such as: